The Many Meanings of Money:
An Advanced Workshop in Property Mediation:
Real Estate Holdings, Small Business Assets, and Financial Assets
Thursday October 18 and Friday October 19, 2018
The concept of "Money" means many different things to people. Gender, age, and culture play a significant role as well socioeconomic parentage. For the mediator: "What is this “thing” called money? Can you speak the "language" of money? What is the difference between money and currency. What are: Blockchain, Cryptocurrency, Options, Annuities, Executive Compensation Plans? What are stocks, bonds, and derivatives? When is debt a good thing? We as mediators need to know how to speak this language.
This Workshop is an advanced Master Class for mediators practicing Facilitative and/or Evaluative mediation. You will have taken 40-hours of basic mediation and/or divorce mediation training. An advanced 20-hours training in property mediation would be very helpful although not required for this workshop. This workshop is recommended for those mediators interested in going to the next level.
Topics will include, but are not limited to:
1. Money as a store of value: Salt, spices, and gold
2. “Transactional” cash and electronic currencies
3. Asset classes: Tangible and Intangible
4. Personalities types, education, gender and culture: How each relates to their money
5. Framing financial issues associated with Tangible assets
6. Framing financial issues associated with Intangible assets
7. Out-of-state and international asset holdings
8. Family owned business assets, valuations, and trust funds
9. Understanding Form 1040, Schedules E, D, and C
10. Investment fees, costs to carry, negative interest rates and the inheritance
11. Insurance and derivative financial assets
12. Understanding the estate plan and situational trusts: Special Needs
13. Understanding regulated pensions under ERISA, OPM, and the Military
14. Understanding unregulated pensions: IRAs and Variable Annuity Products
15. Topics requested by participants in the workshop
Each 2-hour workshop will run on two consecutive days, Thursday and Friday from 2:00-4:00-ish, October 18 and October 19. The workshops will be held in the main conference room of XML Financial Group, 1 Preserve Parkway, Suite 120, Rockville. Street parking is free; guest parking for a fee is located adjacent to the building.
Class size is limited to 7 participants on a paid first come first serve basis. Coffee, hot tea, cold bottled water and soft drinks as well as healthy snacks are made available at no charge.
To guarantee a seat, your registration and payment in full must be received at least two-weeks prior to the start of the first two-hour session.
Cost for the two sessions is $150.00 for MCDR members, $200.00 for non-members. Non-members will also receive with their paid registration a one-year membership in MCDR. Please make your check out to Barry Weissman and mail to:
Maryland Council for Dispute Resolution
10319 Westlake Drive, Suite 247
Bethesda, MD 20817
A certificate for 4 hours of ADR related C.E. will be issued to participants at the end of the workshop. We were recently informed this workshop is listed as acceptable by the District Court in Arlington, VA as credit toward court certification. Please check with your District Court to determine whether completing this workshop would qualify as credit toward your court certification.
Since 2008 Barry M. Weissman CDFA™, Certified Divorce Financial Analyst, has been Principal and Owner of Barry M. Weissman & Associates, d.b.a. The Financials of Divorce. For 30 years prior, Mr. Weissman was a fee-only financial advisor and estate planner. Prior to that Mr. Weissman was Series 7 licensed as a registered representative; his U-4 is found on the SEC website. Mr. Weissman did not renew his Series 7 and license in Life & Health Insurance in the late 1980s. His C.V. is offered on LinkedIn. For directions and more information please visit www.TheFinancialsofDivorce.com
Cancellations: A full refund will be made with one week's notice of your need to cancel. Please allow two weeks to receive your refund. E-Mail: Barry@FinanacialsofDivorce.com
For more information or if you have any questions please call: (314) 223-2661